Within the project:
CONEX Balkan: Covid-19 Nexus response for improving the socio-economic situation of marginalized people in 6 Western Balkan countries
Deadline for application: Monday, 1st November, 2021, 15h
About CARE and the project
CARE International is a federation of international non-government organizations implementing its programs for fighting poverty and social injustice in more than 90 countries throughout the world. CARE’s aim in the Balkans is to ensure recognition and fulfilment of social, economic and political rights of the vulnerable and marginalized groups, thus contributing to sustainable peace in the region.
CARE’s project “CONEX Balkan: Covid-19 Nexus response for improving the socio-economic situation of marginalized people in 6 Western Balkan countries”, implemented between May 2021 and February 2023, aims to address problems affecting marginalised groups who are disproportionally impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, including older people, vulnerable women, minorities (e.g. Roma), refugees and IDPs as well as people with disabilities
The project’s overall objective is to alleviate the humanitarian and socio-economic consequences of the COVID 19 crisis in 6 West-Balkan countries. The crisis has disproportionately affected those groups that already faced social and economic exclusion and vulnerabilities before the crisis, namely older people, unemployed women and people with disabilities. The project aims to contribute to improving not only their immediate socio-economic situation but also their resilience to current and future crises. The consortium will operate in six Western Balkan countries under the lead of Caritas Austria: Caritas in Albania and Kosovo, Mother Teresa Society in Kosovo, Red Cross in Montenegro and North Macedonia, CARE and three local partners in Southern Serbia and BiH and Diakonie with local partner Philanthropy in Central and Western Serbia. The project will provide cash, in kind and community assistance to marginalised people, improve access to health, psychosocial and social services as well as offer training and employment opportunities. It will also raise the awareness of relevant stakeholders on issues of discrimination and impact of the crisis on marginalised groups as well as advocate for measures to reduce these. As a result, the target groups will have improved their psychosocial wellbeing, be better equipped to cope with their economic situation and know where to look for social support both in their neighbourhood and with public services
The target organisations from BiH: “Budućnost” Modriča and Udruženje građana za promociju obrazovanja Roma “Otaharin”, run social enterprises with various occupations, employing marginalised target groups and at the same time funding their core activities from the business profit. Target organisation from Serbia Nexus Vranje has extensive experience in connecting the capacities of marginalized groups and very positive experiences in many years of work with women and young Roma and a good base of volunteers in this community.
Purpose of the consultancy
CARE International is looking for a Consultant(s)/organization/ company for organizing trainings in business development for the final project beneficiaries in Bijeljina and Modriča municipalities. The planned training will provide basic business development skills and guide the participants to make a viable business plan / application for their proposed endeavour. The participants will also be informed about the conditions and criteria for the small grant support (10 grantees). The skills they will gain through the training will be useful for making a loan application or start their small business. It is expected that the engaged Consultant(s) should undertake the following activities:
- Get acquainted with the work and missions of “Otaharin” and “Budućnost” partner organizations,
- Examine preparation documents and propose improvements (selection commission process, Training announcement, selection criteria and contracting final beneficiaries, monitoring forms)
- Two-day Business Development Training for cca 15 selected beneficiaries from municipality of Bijeljina
- Two-day Business Development Training for cca 15 selected beneficiaries from municipality of Modriča
The trainings will be organized by CARE and partner organizations „Otaharin“ and „Budućnost“ and delivered by external expert(s), engaged by the project
- Individual consultation with beneficiaries on their business plans
The main purpose of the trainings will be the development of business ideas of the participants into feasible and comprehensive business plans. Thus, the trainings are expected to be entirely designed and implemented/facilitated by external experts (in consultation with CARE and the partners project team) and to cover a wider range of topics around the subject of business plan development: analysis of the business idea, competition and sales prospective, importance of good marketing, business development and utilization of external investment funding and other possible topics deriving from the experience of the trainers and Partners projects team.
Within training, special attention will be paid to issues of gender equality and equal opportunities for all: the trainings will discuss the importance of inclusing women and people with disabilities in small businesses.
Particular attention will be paid to environmental protection during the trainings and business development process: the training will include the topics of influence of businesses on the environment and concrete methods of environmental protection for the businesses developed by the participants, thus equipping the participants with sufficient knowledge to install the particular segment of environmental protection into their business plans.
The trainings will promote active engagement of the participants in the process of the business plans design and will have elements of interactive workshops, homework and group work for individual self-learning and consultations. In case of Covid-19 escalation and more stricked rules about gathering it is expected to organise trainings online or in smaller groups in order to achive set goals.
For the purpose of the trainings’ evaluation, pre- and post tests will be carried out by the Consultant to assess the participants’ knowledge and training highlights. Apart from this, the Consultant will also carry out an evaluation of participants’ satisfaction with the trainings and the utilized training methodology.
Note: for the component of individual consultations, the project will utilize the capacity of the partner organizations. Upon the consultation with the external experts, Partners will provide individual coaching to the workshops participants in the extent agreed in the workshops schedule and plans. The role of Partners will be to act in addition with external expertise with an aim to support the workshop participants in practical tasks that should lead them to develop the best possible entrepreneurial activities and to design feasible business plans for the further project selection. Partners staff will provide advice in the premises of the organization, but also will organize field visits to all training beneficiaries offering in situation advice.
- Provide to the Consultant the documentation relevant for the consultancy – initial and upon Consultant’s request
- Agree on the training program with the Consultant; facilitate input for gender mainstreaming into the training methodology
- Coordinate with the Consultant and Partners throughout the consultancy period
- Review the training program
- Provide logistical support for organization of trainings and individual consultations.
- Provide logistical support to the Consultant necessary for the realisation (the travel costs for the field work envisaged should be included in the Consultants’ bid).
In order to accomplish the requested consultancy, the Consultant will conduct the following tasks:
- Review of the documentation and inputs relevant for the project, provided by CARE and partners,
- Design training programs for 15 beneficiaries (in English, 4-5 pages). Creation of a scoring plan for business plans evaluation, where special attention shall be placed on gender mainstreaming, environmental protection and the encouragement of self-employment (the training will be useful for making a loan application or start their small business).
- Revision and adjustment of the training programs and scoring plan in consultation with CARE. Apart from revising general topics, particular attention of consultancy with CARE will be paid to gender mainstreaming of the trainings program, in accordance with the defined description of the task (above)
- Implementation of the training programs approved by CARE in Partners’ municipalities, with the logistical support of CARE. Coordination with Partners on individual consultations with beneficiaries will represent an integral part of the training.
- Provision of the Consultancy Report to CARE (Consultancy Report in English 4-5 pages). Apart from the general consultancy coverage, the Consultancy Report will contain the annex with the concrete Consultant’s skoring plan for ranking the business plans of the participants subject of evaluation by CARE/Partner Commission; it will also include the annex with the training evaluation and results of pre-post tests. The Report will include, among the mandatory topics, the Consultant’s view of the gender prospective of the entire endeavour and recommendations for gender mainstreaming in further work with the participants. The report will also contain a segment with review of activities undertaken by the Consultant to include the topic of environmental protection into the training and its outputs and evaluation of the results in this regard.
The Consultant will be engaged for 15 full consultancy days in, over the period 10th November to 15th December 2021, according to the following timetable:
Action Responsible Date
Submission of bid (electronically) Consultant 1st November, 21
Contract signing, initial agreements CARE, Consultant 10th November, 21
Deadline for realisation of the task Consultant until 15th December, 21
Submission of the Consultancy report Consultant 15th December, 21
|Final payment (100% of contracted amount), not later than 20th of December||Upon the realisation of the task and approval of the Consultancy report by CARE|
The detailed payment schedule will be outlined in the Consultancy Contract and will be made upon the work completion and the approval of the final consultancy report by CARE. The Payment will be carried out in line with all necessary documentation as per CARE’s administrative procedures (time sheets, consultancy report, etc).
Required qualification of the Consultant:
CARE invites individual experts, teams of experts, NGOs and agencies, familiar with the type of work required in the context of a CSOs development project, to submit their bids and present in details their expertise, experience, division of work and responsibility levels/responsible persons (in case of teams or agencies). The general requirements are:
- Have excellent knowledge and previous documented consulting experience in business development and in technical support.
- Have excellent knowledge of gender equality issues and their implications to business development
- Have excellent knowledge in environment protection, in particular in the influence of businesses on the environment and in concrete preventative measures to be installed as prevention
- Have knowledge and experience in participatory workshop methodologies
- Have a good knowledge about the situation in the Partners regions in regards to the business environment, especially for self-employment of vulnerable groups,
- Have a good understanding of the idea, aims, principles and expected results of the Project and proposed activities
- Submit references/recommendation on the related work
Additional requirements (desired):
- Have experience from previous involvement in the similar projects
- Prior experience on international donor funded projects, preferably EC
- Relevant university degree in business, business administration, economy or similar
- Excellent knowledge of English and local languages
The Consultant’s bid/application should consist of the following:
- Consultant’s CV (preferably in EU Format) or portfolio, with detailed information relevant to the required qualifications.
- Draft consultancy plan –implementation plan (schedule) for the consultancy.
- Bid – financial offer: The Consultant shall suggest a daily fee/rate in EUR per consultancy day. (Transportation, food and accommodation costs should be included).This includes the generation of content and design of the brochure. The printing costs should be added in the financial offer. These costs will be indicative and will be defined after the final design is approved. There is no standard format for the bid.
The received applications will be evaluated against the below stated criteria:
|REFERENCE /HISTORY (experience in similar work)||METHODOLOGY / APROACH (appropriateness for the task)||KNOWLEDGE /SKILLS (specific for the task)||FUNDS (value for money)|
We thank to all applicants for their interest. Only those who are to be selected will be contacted. For any additional information concerning the application, please contact:
Branislav Tanasijevic, Project Manager
Sarajevo, 13th October 2021.