CARE International is a federation of international non-government organizations whose vision is a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. The organization is implementing its programs for fighting poverty and social injustice in more than 100 countries throughout the world. CARE has been active in the Balkans region since 1993. Over the years, CARE’s program has expanded from mainly emergency interventions undertaken during the nineties and developed to meet the changing needs of the region’s vulnerable population. Its aim in the Balkans today is to ensure social, economic and political rights of vulnerable and marginalized groups are recognized and fulfilled, contributing to sustainable peace in the region. CARE’s work in the Balkans revolves around the two programme strategies: social and economic inclusion and gender equality.
CARE is currently implementing the project “Supporting a More Competitive and Sustainable Agriculture in North Macedonia”, funded by the State Chancellery of the western German State of North Rhine-Westphalia. The overall goal of the project is the achievement of a higher sustainability of the agricultural cooperative movement in North Macedonia.
Within the project, a general understanding and awareness of competitive and sustainable agriculture is to be improved among certain stakeholders – existing agricultural cooperatives, National Extension Agency (NEA), the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management (MAFWE) and the umbrella organization of agricultural cooperatives Macedonian Association of Agricultural Cooperatives (MAAC). The overall objective of sustainable agriculture consists of three outputs:
- Op 1: Needs assessment for the NEA, based on which (few) new protocols and procedures will be put in place for improved management and administration.
- Op 2: Identify and improve law obstacles and burdensome procedures for the admission of new members into agricultural cooperatives.
- Op 3: Improve the value chains for agricultural products.
Aims and objectives of the consultancy
The agricultural producers in Macedonia are still in a large percentage individual farmers, with small and fragmented land parcels, with low income and in no position to invest in the development of their production, modern technology and mechanisation. Individually, they cannot compete with larger producers at the local or regional markets, which puts them in even more isolated and fragile position and drives them into deeper poverty.
On the other hand, the current perception of agricultural cooperatives and their significance for the increase of competitiveness of individual farmers is not yet fully appreciated among the individual producers, but also businesses and market chains in Macedonia. All stakeholders – individual farmers, markets, general population, are still burdened by the perception of agricultural cooperatives gained during the communist times, when they represented a mandatory and universal model of farmers’ entrepreneurship within the socialist society that did not deal with agricultural business development and increase of competitiveness of individual farmers.
Based on almost four years of work in the field of agriculture in North Macedonia, CARE has identified several obstacles hindering the further development of agricultural cooperatives. However, to remain competitive in the internal market, it is necessary to organize farmers in cooperatives or in more complex forms of business operation models such as producers’ groups, common market organizations, associations, etc. Within the framework of the CARE’s recently finished EU funded project “Support to Development of Agricultural Cooperatives”, the establishment of 22 agricultural cooperatives was enabled, which represents an increase of 65.98% in the total number of agricultural cooperatives in the country.
However, there are many more issues to be resolved for successful functioning of the agricultural cooperatives in North Macedonia – the number of members in cooperatives remains at the required minimum of 10, or just slightly above, the percentage of women and young people remains relatively low (about 23% of the total membership in agricultural cooperatives are women or youth). Thus, the North Macedonia’s National Rural Development Strategy 2021-2027 recognises that the main weaknesses of agricultural cooperatives remain that (a) they are not able to gain wider trust, (b) their management capacities are weak, (c) the access of new members is limited, and (d) the average number of members per cooperative is consequently low. The Strategy further assumes that improving the position of farmers in the value chain is only possible in the short term through their association in cooperatives.
With all this in mind, the project “Supporting a More Competitive and Sustainable Agriculture in North Macedonia” is looking for advertising expert(s)/company to develop and implement a public awareness raising campaign with an aim to raise knowledge and awareness among farmers (including particularly women and youth engaged in agriculture), business community and general public, on the purpose, objectives and principles of modern agricultural cooperatives and the advantages of this business operation model for individual agricultural producers.
The target area of the campaign is the entire territory of the country, with stronger emphasis on the agricultural regions. The target audience for the campaign are individual farmers and general public and specific aims of the campaign should be:
- to raise particular awareness among women and youth engaged in agriculture, on benefits in joining the agricultural cooperatives;
- to generally attract new members to agricultural cooperatives.
All campaign products need to mention the Project and use its visual identity elements. The materials will be developed in line with the Donor’s visibility guidelines and with the inputs from project staff. The messages needs to be persuasive, simple and clear in expression, communicative to the target audiences. In case the Project dynamics requires, the messages shall be adapted during the implementation of the Campaign.
The consultant(s) shall be responsible for the messages (text, photo, video, etc.) they create and distribute during the Campaign, therefore it is recommended that the consultant(s) evaluate, prior to the distribution of the messages, all the risks concerning the impact of the messages on the public.
In order to accomplish the requested consultancy, the Consultant will conduct the following tasks:
- Get acquainted with the project “Supporting a More Competitive and Sustainable Agriculture in North Macedonia”, and the specific campaign goals.
- Get acquainted with the main results of the recently finished CARE’s project “Support to Development of Agricultural Cooperatives”.
- In cooperation with CARE, define the structure and content of the project promotional campaign.
- Present the draft MEDIA PLAN along with promotional items developed to the CARE Project Manager for revision and final approval.
- Production (including design and printing) of the campaign materials/deliverables/products, upon final approval from CARE Project Manager.
- Implement the comprehensive national awareness raising campaign, including design, production, broadcasting and distribution of various materials, establishing/maintaining contacts with media and placement of the campaign materials, arranging visits to TV broadcasts etc.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the campaign effects and provision of amendments, if needed, in consultation with the CARE Project Manager.
- Provide the Final Report on the awareness raising campaign to CARE, in English.
The promotional materials to be developed need to encompass the following:
- The orientation list of information sharing materials that need to be developed within the consultancy, is included in the Appendix 1 to this ToR. The final agreement on the materials and number of copies to be produced will be made with CARE Project Manager, within the course of the consultancy.
- All campaign messages shall be positive, constructive, in line with the visibility standards of CARE and the project donor: North Rhine Westphalia and containing visual identity elements of CARE and the Donor; All materials will be made in Macedonian and English languages.
- The Consultant shall procure the advertising space from the TV stations, in order to be able to broadcast the envisaged video spot, according to the media-plan agreed with the CARE Project Manager.
- Provide all necessary information and documentation on the projects to the Contractor;
- Provide to the Vendor the CARE and North Rhine Westphalia visibility guidelines;
- Agree on the work plan with the Vendor;
- Coordinate with the vendor throughout the consultancy period.
Schedule and logistics
The Consultant will be engaged for a maximum of 20 working days over the period December 2021 – January 2022. The exact start and end date of the consultation period will be agreed with the Consultant upon selection.
The payment for the work will be defined through a contract and will be made upon the work completion and after the final outputs of the consultation have been approved by CARE’s Project Manager, with all necessary documentation attached, as per CARE’s administrative procedures (the consultant time sheets and other required documentation).
CARE will not provide logistical support to the Consultant for the named consultancy, nor will accept any extra costs for it – organisation and costs for eventual meals, accommodation, transportation and similar, that may occur during the consultancy period, will be entirely covered by the Consultant’s fee. CARE will not pay any additional costs for stakeholder’s participation in the consultancy.
The Consultant shall suggest a total fee for the entire consultancy in MKD, in gross amount. The offered price/bid should include all costs including taxes and related costs of the bidder (travel, meetings etc.).
Required qualification of the Individual Consultant/Company:
- Relevant university degree in marketing, social sciences, or similar.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in designing of awareness raising campaign in the country.
- Extensive experience in multimedia, marketing and print design.
- Excellence and proven previous experience in quality visual design.
- Extensive contacts and good cooperation with media in the country (local and national), exceptional general collaborative and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate and inventive creator/s of innovative promotional materials and campaigns.
The Consultant’s bid/application should consist of the following:
- CVs of the key campaign consultants with detailed information concerning experience in designing promotional campaigns.
- Draft media plan which must have specific proposals for broadcasting each of the advertisements with list of the TV stations and internet portals, their locations, broadcasting period and time. The following elements in the media plan are minimum requirements:
- the number of broadcasts of the video spots,
- the list of television channels, internet portals where the spots/commercials shall be broadcasted, or where the project actors will be interviewed;
- the total duration of broadcasting on TV,
- the overall schedule (starting date / ending date) and the duration of the Campaign.
Kindly be informed by the preliminary list of promotional materials to be produces, in Appendix 1. The exact number of copies/deliverables/materials (i.e. TV announcements, video spot, posters) will be determined jointly with project staff and will depend on the resources available and price per item.
- Bid – financial offer: the Consultant shall suggest a costs for entire consultancy in MKD on the basis of the depicted task. The Consultant should make a breakdown of costs, including different activities and types of costs (per poster, per video spot per minute, per purchase of TV advertising space etc.).
- List of references on previous similar consultancies.
There is no standard format for the bid.
Interested candidates are invited to apply:
Via e-mail to email@example.com, no later than 6th of December 2021, 12 PM, titled:
Application for the position: Short-Term Expert for Awareness raising campaign
References need to be included in the application, or, in exceptional cases, available upon request. Only candidates with a suitable offer will receive a confirmation of receipt of their application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Management and organization
The Consultant will report to Mr. Dragan Perić, CARE’s Project Manager.
Appendix 1: Preliminary list of the campaign products
|Type of product||Requirement||Quantity||Price in MKD|
|Media plan||Preparation of media plan with specific proposals for broadcasting each of the advertisements with list of the TV stations and internet portals, their locations, broadcasting period and time.||Per media plan|
|Video spot 30 seconds||HD resolution, illustrated by scripts and storyboards including production and post-production services||Per spot30 s|
|Media space||Media Space TV (the media space in 2 TV stations, for 30 days broadcasting (2 national TV stations).||Total sum (with additional breakdown per item)|
|Media Space||Social Media in most prominent agriculture blogs and facebook pages||Total sum (with additional breakdown per item)|
|Poster||Design and printing, 70.7x100cm (B1), portrait, single sided, photomat, no lamination, full colour||~ 500|
|Flyer||Design and printing, A5, different front and back, 4/0 colour, 135 grams, to be printed on a normal illustrated (mat) paper in Macedonian language||~ 2,000 copies|
Interested candidates are invited to apply and should submit:
- Current CV in EU format (kindly present only the relevant experience);
- Bid (financial offer).
Via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 6th of December 2021, 12 PM, titled:
Application for the position: Short-Term Expert/s for Awareness raising campaign
References need to be included in the application, or, in exceptional cases, available upon request. Only candidates with a suitable offer will receive a confirmation of receipt of their application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.DOWNLOAD PDF